After a Marathon
Since there isn’t much published about proper recovery after running following these basic steps and suggestion will help you understand how important proper recovery after a race truly is.
- As soon as you cross the finish line and slow down your body will naturally go into recover mode. You will start to feel clammy and chilly even if it is hot outside.
- Do not stop moving. Slow down the run gradually to a sprint then a walk. Doing so will help the hear transition without damage. Walk for at least 10-15 minutes after a race
- Change into comfortable dry warm cloths as soon as possible
- Also make sure you change your shoes. Do not wear sandals or flip flops. It is imperative that th shoes you wear after a race do not cause your feet to swell and are supportive.
- Eat a small snack 30 – 60 minutes after a race. Do have a big meal after, as you will feel hungry later on.
- Wait about 24 hours or more before having a massage. Do not have deep massages. Just light massages will get the job done. And not damage any muscles
- Wait about 2-6 after a race before stretching. During that period of time the muscles will begin torecoup and you would greatly minimize any potential damage.
- Following our 3 week plan during your recovery phase will help you properly get back on track and help you be better for your next race.