Chiropractic Treatment Protocols for Rehabilitation
When you think of a chiropractor, chances are you think of spinal manipulation. In fact, manual spinal adjustments are the hallmark of traditional chiropractic care. Since the spinal cord houses the central nervous system, a maladjusted spine can generate pain, tingling and numbness throughout your body.
Manual spinal adjustments can alleviate pressure on discs and nerves, in effect reliving pain. But chiropractic care can extend beyond spinal manipulation, incorporating a range of treatment protocols to help eliminate pain and restore optimal physical function.
In addition to spinal manipulation, chiropractic rehab treatment may include:
- Heat and cold therapy: Cold therapy relieves pain and inflammation, and heat relaxes muscles and restores circulation to the injured area
- Massage: Massage of muscle tissues improves circulation, reduces inflammation and promotes quicker healing
- Exercise: Stretching and strengthening exercises help restore muscle balance and promote support of the spine
- Nutritional counseling: Chronic inflammation and metabolic disorders can interfere with joint and muscle health and slow healing. Nutrition is key to resolving metabolic function
- Ultrasonography: Ultrasound therapy can help reduce pain and relax muscle spasms, increasing circulation and speeding up the healing process
- Diathermy: This therapy bypasses passes soft tissues and heats denser tissues, to relax connective tissue and reduce muscle spasms
- Hydrotherapy: Using baths, whirlpools, saunas or wraps, hydrotherapy can be used to numb pain, relax muscles and promote healing
- ESWT (Extra-Corporeal Shock Wave Therapy): This technique uses light electrical pulses to reduce inflammation, relax muscle spasms and relieve pain
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation): With TENS, the patient controls the intensity of electrical stimulation, blocking the neural transmission of pain signals and releasing endorphins
- Traction: Traction devices stretch the spine, decompressing discs and reducing pressure on nerve root
- Ergonomic adjustments: Modifications of a work station may help moderate the negative effects of poor posture and work-related muscle imbalances
- Pelvic stabilization: Corrective arch supports and heel lifts may help optimize pelvic alignment and stability
- Patient Education: Chiropractors are educators at heart, and are keen on helping patients understand behaviors that contribute to back pain.
Clearly, chiropractic care encompasses a much broader range of treatment options than just spinal manipulation.
Chiropractic Treatment at NYDNRehab
The health care professionals at NYDNRehab embrace cutting-edge technologies and treatments, merging them with traditional treatment methods to ensure you receive the very best care. Our goal is to get you pain-free and in control of your health with the help of an experienced and caring Chiropractor.
At NYDNRehab, we don’t just treat your pain, we get to the root cause of pain and fix it so you can get back to living life to its fullest. Contact NYDNRehab today, and discover why we are the very best rehab professionals in NYC.